Penn Hills Station 225

The Thad Stevens Volunteer Fire Company No.5 was founded in 1929 by a group of local citizens that thought there was not enough fire protection. The Group of citizens held their first meeting in the Laketon Heights Methodist Church. That is where they arranged the plan for Thad Steven VFD. They Obtained a State Charter along with raising funds to purchase a 500 gallon American La France Fire Truck. The Charter was Received on August 21,1930, Not long after the construction of the station began, The station was built on the site of the Eastwood Shopping Center.

During the Insuring years, land was purchased and yet a new one story building was constructed on the land where the Station now Sits. In 1941 the members of Thad Stevens Answered a Alarm call to only find the Fire Station in flames. The members reacted quickly and were able to save all of the Equipment with the help of the Lincoln Park Fire Company No.1. The building was a total loss. Immediately after the fire a large Fund Raising Campaign was arranged which raised enough money to rebuild. A Fire Proof Fire Station was rebuilt with in the same year.

The Thad Stevens Fire Company No.5 was to be one of the Finest, and Best Equipped Fire Companies in the area. Also because of the members excellent Firefighting records, the property owners and residence of the Township were able to have large reductions in Fire insurance protection.
In 1944 Thad Stevens Fire Company No. 5 Purchased a new 750 gallon Mack Combination Pumper and Ladder Truck. The purchase of this truck was a big upgrade for the fire protection of the township. Two Years later in 1946 the company purchased a Mercury Station Wagon to be used as a additional emergency vehicle and First-Aid car. Recently after this a Car was purchased which was fully equipped with resuscitator, oxygen masks, stretchers, first-aid, and rescue equipment.

After the big upgrades in Vehicles and equipment the members decide to Do some building improvements in 1948 to better suit the social hall for community events. A new gas heating system, and tile floors were added. Years later in 1950 a kitchen was then installed.